Friday, October 29, 2010

The Zodiac Lives!

The day finally came: the day Milan can wear his Zodiac costume all day, the costume we have been working on for weeks! Today was fake-Halloween day! Since we are in China and there is no neighborhood trick-or-treating, this is as Halloween-y as we get around here. We started the celebration on Thursday by carving some pumpkins.


I only encouraged the vegetable sellers at the market when I bought these pumpkins this week - they still remember me from last October when I came and bought 4 pumpkins. Every week since then someone in the market has tried to sell me pumpkins. I will enjoy another year of pumpkin pushing, as the lady who loooooves pumpkins.

But back to more important things: The Zodiac costume! If you need some background reading on Zodiacs, please see my post last month on Milan's imaginary animal, a kind of antelope-like dinosaur that eats meat and is, of course, yellow with white spots. We found a yellow sweatshirt a couple weeks ago and that was the beginning of the Zodiac costume.

Milan at his classroom Halloween party

The white spots were stragegically placed to cover some printed pictures and words on the shirt. The pants are hand-dyed, thanks to the expert guidance of my fabric-dying friend and neighbor, Lauren. He actually has two pairs of yellow-dyed pants on, he loved them both so much he couldn't choose just one pair.

Milan informed me a few days ago that Zodiacs have pink tails.


Yesterday he tried to tell me that Zodiacs also have wings but I told him, no, Zodiacs do NOT have wings. Sorry. This costume is done! I am not adding wings!

I had to cover up a print on the front pocket so I decided to give people some clue about his costume. I couldn't help including a not-so-subtle allergy message:

One curious thing you should know about Zodiacs: when given an overload of sugar and then deprived of their usual mid-day nap, they are prone to narcolepsy, especially in the middle of school assemblies:

3:01pm Sorting candy before the school assembly


3:21pm completely zonked

Happy Halloween!
More pictures up on Flickr.

2 comments:

Stimey said...

I love everything about this post. AND your fake Halloween.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is perfect! I love his costume!!! So creative! I am glad you got to celebrate Halloween. We also enjoyed a fake Halloween here :) The pumpkins are green here, but hey, they're still pumpkins! -Veronica

Post a Comment