Saturday, April 23, 2011

Earth Day/Easter

Earth Day was a big deal at Tim and Milan's school this week, so we had many events Friday and Saturday, and then Easter on Sunday. Here are some highlights!

Because I am the bug freak, one of the highlights for me was finding this swarm of honeybees hanging from a tree outside our apartment!

Very cool. They have been there for two days - forgot to check on them this evening, but hopefully they have found a new home today.

Milan sang a song with his class in the school musical performance for Earth Day.

Singing and doing the hand motions.

There were man many other activities going on at school all week and Friday, and Tim has been working like a dog on Earth Day activities, but as far as the little kids go, we had the assembly and then a huge international vegetarian potluck for the whole school, and then we went home and played.

But Saturday was the Earth Day 5K Race bright and early. Milan ran the kiddie race - two laps around the track and he ran the entire way!

I ran the second lap with him to encourage him and keep him running. He did great!

Then it was time for the 5K around our neighborhood. I have been running a fair amount, 2 or 3 times a week, so I was excited to just run with the community and participate in the race. I wasn't really interested in making some amazing time or winning the race or anything.

Here we are at the starting line.
You see that old man 65 years old standing behind me to the left? He beat me, and he ran the whole way in a button down long-sleeved shirt.
See that guy, number 106 standing next to me? He beat me.
See the two ladies behind me? In my age group, also beat me.
See the guy in the red sweatshirt? He also beat me.
But see the high school kid in the gray tank top? Yea, I beat him.
But, like I said, I wasn't in it for the competition.

It was a great run and the volunteers guiding us along the route were wonderful. Tim ran like a maniac and got third place overall. Go Tim!

Tim getting his gold medal for his age group, which consisted of him and this guy who ran in a sweater vest, jeans, and loafers. Yup, he beat me. But only by a minute or two.

On to Easter Sunday!

We had a visit from the Easter bunny this morning. He was somehow able to deliver Peeps from the US - very exciting (thank you friends and family of friends visiting from the States!). After Milan came down from his first sugar high of the day and the sugar coating on his face was cleaned off, we went over to our friends' house for more Easter glutony and celebration.

There was an awesome Easter egg hunt and enough jelly beans and cupcakes to send a dozen kids jumping off the walls!


Happy Easter and Earth Day everyone!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

WOW -- what an exciting time! I'm glad you shared these amazing pictures of the little man! He really is something special, and growing at an alarming rate (well maybe not physically, but the changes are fast and furious and fun)!

Well, you beat me! I can't keep up with you and your son even when I'm sitting down! I'm glad that you had fun AND the spirit of joy was completely evident in your race place summation.

GREAT Post -- Happy Easter to you and all of yours!

Post a Comment